localhost
SELECT * FROM history_titleHistoryTrinity's Historydone History

 Change font size
Member Login   |   Administrator Login
--->
small logo
 

History of Trinity

Following a careful survey of the need for additional churches in the Topeka area, PC(USA) began planning for a church in the Seabrook area of southwest Topeka. In the spring of 1952, a two-acre site was purchased at 21st and Sims. On Sept. 15, 1952 Rev. Merle Stevenson began his mission of organizing a new church and a month later eight southwest area residents attended the first pre-organization meeting. On Nov. 16, 1952, the first worship service was held in the vacant Seabrook Grade School at 19th and Mission with 35 people at church school and 27 at morning worship. Organization moved rapidly and on April 14, 1953, a petition with 83 signatures was presented to the Presbytery seeking permission to form Trinity Presbyterian Church.

Trinity Presbyterian Church was officially organized on May 24, 1953 with two worship services that included baptizing eight children and accepting 84 adults into membership. Prior to the formal organization of the church, another 13 other children were baptized.

Groundbreaking for Trinity's Fellowship Hall was on Nov. 22, 1953, and Trinity's first called Pastor, Rev. David Byers, led the first services in the new building on May 2, 1954. The sanctuary was dedicated on March 15, 1959. In the fall of 1990, the sanctuary was renovated, and the parlor and the office wing were added. The education wing was added in the fall of 2011, and Trinity began leasing space to TDC Learning Centers, Inc. for their Little Explorers' Learning Center at Trinity.

Trinity's presence in Topeka moves beyond our building, as we support community organizations and groups like Let's Help, Doorstep, and VIDA Hispanic Ministry. Reformed and always Reforming, Trinity is excited to see where God will lead us next as we continue our family journey together.



©2001-2017   |   Trinity Presbyterian Church   |   4746 SW 21st Street, Topeka, Kansas 66604   |   785.272.2620   |   YouBelong@TrinityPresbyterian.net